The Mormon Battalion
Commemorating the Mormon Battalion Camp in Tucson, December 16, 1846
THE MORMON BATTALION
• Uniform allowance was donated to helpfinance the Mormon pioneer’s westward treks to Salt Lake valley.
• Blazed “Cooke’s Wagon Road” acrossthe Southwest
• Established the Southern Emigrant Trail to reach California gold country
• Route used by Jackass Mail line,Butterfield Stagecoach Line,Southern Pacific Railroad
• Survey maps of route used for 1853 Gadsden Purchase of Arizona and southern New Mexico.
• Dug wells in desert used by future travelers.
• Performed numerous community service projects in San Diego and Los Angeles
• Brought seeds, cuttings, equipment, Taos wheat to Salt Lake Valley
• Used knowledge of desert irrigation techniques acquired from Native American and Mexican farmers
• Used frontier and survival experience in colonizing the West.
• Recorded vital observations, experiences,stories, testimonies in diaries and journals.
• Brought gold from Sutter’s Mill findings into Salt Lake – financed commercial enterprises.
• Exemplified patriotism, perseverance,obedience, survival, sacrifice and service to God and Country.
• At 1855 Reunion, Brigham Young remarked to the veterans of the Mormon Battalion, “. . . you will never be forgotten,
but will be had in honorable remembrance forever and ever.”
LEGACY OF THE MORMON BATTALION
The Tucson Mormon Battalion Monument Foundation is a non-profit organization whose purposes are to
1. Help retain in memory the Mormon Battalion.
2. Promote and maintain the Tucson Mormon
3. Disseminate information on the monument and
the available resources of the Foundation.
(manpower, equipment, expertise, funds, printed material)
4. Make Foundation resources available to church and
community organizations and events which
are in line with Foundation purposes.
5. Recruit Foundation members and willing volunteers to
assist in the purposes of the Foundation.
6. Wisely protect and use the resources available to the
President John Hancock email@example.com
Secretary Kathy Madsen firstname.lastname@example.org
Treasurer Richard Burton email@example.com
Band Leader Ryan Christensen firstname.lastname@example.org
Events Coordinator Randy Madsen Rmadsen23@gmail.com
Committee Member Dave Barnhill email@example.com
Committee Member Bob Black Bobjune7@gmail.com
Committee Member Que Hales firstname.lastname@example.org
Committee Member Reed Hancock email@example.com
Committee Member Darrel Hochstettler firstname.lastname@example.org
Committee Member Ric Nielsen email@example.com
Committee Member Shawn Vause firstname.lastname@example.org
Committee Historian JJ Lamb email@example.com
For any inquiries, fireside speakers or demonstrations please fill out the following form
El Presidio Park Tucson
El Presidio Park, Tucson
160 W Alameda St, Tucson, AZ
Kathy Madsen firstname.lastname@example.org